The tax imposed will be at the rate of $0.01 per ounce on the retail sale of all sweetened beverages in Cook County.
All retailers most pay a Floor tax for the ounces on hand 6/30/17 which is due 7/20/17.
Starting 7/1 the distributor is supposed to remit the tax. If the distributor did not collect it from the retailor then the retailor is supposed to self-access and pay.
Application of the Sweetened Beverage Tax
- Bottled sweetened beverages (soda, sports drinks, flavored water, energy drinks, pre-made sweetened coffee and tea with less than 50% milk content, etc.) – the tax rate is $.01 per ounce of sweetened beverage and is calculated on the fluid ounces contained in the bottle or can.
- Sweetened beverages produced from syrups using a beverage dispensing machine and powders using a beverage dispensing machine or by hand mixing (fountain drinks, lemonade, etc.) – tax is applied to the total amount of beverage that the syrup or powder will make per the manufacturers’ directions.
- For example, a 5 gallon bag of syrup will make 3,840 ounces of beverage – at tax rate of $.01 per ounce of sweetened beverage, the tax for that bag of syrup is $38.40.
- A reduction of 5% of the calculated tax will be applied to account for spillage and product preparation.
- 100% natural fruit/vegetable juice, syrup and powder with no added sweetener
- Milk, soy, rice, or similar milk substitutes that are the primary ingredient (more than 50%)
- Unsweetened drinks to which a purchaser can add, or can request that a retailer add, sugar, at the point of sale
- Infant formula
- Beverages for medical use
- Weight reduction/therapeutic nutritional meal replacements
- Any syrup or powder that the consumer himself or herself combines with other ingredients to create a beverage
More Details @ https://www.cookcountyil.gov/service/sweetened-beverage-tax